Introducing MarkdownSharp

by Jeff Atwood

on December 28, 2009

One of the things that came out of Markdown, One Year Later was that we really needed to open source our C# server-side implementation of Markdown.

While the client side implementation of Markdown is already open sourced, there are two sides to the Markdown story on Stack Overflow -- what appears in the Javascript preview on the client, and what is rendered in C# on the server and ultimately stored in the database. While we are trying to normalize the client and server implementation over time -- I've made significant progress in the last two weeks in doing so -- there are inevitably small differences that creep in over time. It would be nice to have more eyeballs on this process to assist.

Since the original C# library we used for Markdown was not open source, this was a problem. I mailed the author, Milan Negovan, and he granted copyright to me.

Hi there, guys! > > Sure, I don’t mind at all. I’ve always wanted the community to improve and contribute to its development, but never found the proverbial bandwidth to run the project that way. > > Cheers! Milan

So, I've released our C# implementation of Markdown under a proper open source license -- as MarkdownSharp!

markdown-sharp-logo

http://code.google.com/p/markdownsharp/

I've already made a few changes to properly package it as a decent open source project:

  • included relevant links, documentation, and related files

  • added MDTest 1.1 test suite

  • added Simple test suite

  • both NUnit and console runnable tests

  • standard Benchmark with short, medium, and long Markdown samples

  • refactored and profiled for 2x - 5x more performance

  • the Stack Overflow specific changes (such as stricter italics/bold) are configurable, so you can toggle them on and off.

One nice side effect of this process is that I've been able to incorporate quite a few bug fixes, some of them fairly serious. The failure to escape backticks was a big one, and there was a subtle bug involving a single character of whitespace that caused all


s to be wrapped in paragraph tags since.. well, forever.

Anyway, take a look at the project, feel free to browse the source, and please contribute whatever you can to make it better for everyone.